Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound beets, cut into 1/2 inch chunks, greens removed and saved for another use
- 2 1/2 cups water + additional to thin if needed
- 1/4 cup fresh dill
- 1 cup plain full fat yogurt
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice + more to taste
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a deep skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and beets and cook, stirring occasionally until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add 2 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the beets are tender, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let the mixture cool for about 10 minutes.
- Add the beet/onion mixture to a high speed blender along with the dill, yogurt, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Blend on the highest setting until completely smooth and creamy. Taste for seasonings and adjust as needed. If the soup is too thick add a touch more water.
- Place the soup in the fridge to chill for 1 hour before serving.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt and minced dill for garnish.