Volunteers contribute to Waltham Fields Community Farm through field work, help with coordination of our hunger relief, education and outreach programs, and general office support. We have opportunities for both individual and group volunteering.
Individual Volunteer Opportunities
Drop-in Volunteer Program
Individuals who are interested in helping out in the field or greenhouse are welcome during March - October. Stay for an hour or for the morning. It is critical that you arrive between 8:50 - 9:00 am; if you are late, we will not be able to include you in the day's work. Registration is not required.
In March, volunteers will meet at the Barn.
In April through October, all volunteers will meet WFCF Farm Staff at the Volunteer Shed which is to the right of the Main Building next to the WFCF Bulletin Board and Container Garden.
Please park closest to the Volunteer Shed so other building tenets are able to access their parking spaces. Click HERE for directions.
There are times throughout the year when we look for volunteers to help us with specific office tasks, event coordination, or special projects. If you are interested in non-field volunteering please contact our to find out if there is a volunteer project for you.
|Age Group||Drop In Dates and Times 2013|
|High School and Adult||March 12 - May 31
|All Ages|| April 13 - October 26
(ages 13-15) - NEW!
|May 7 - June 25
Tuesdays, 3pm - 5pm
Crop Stewardship - NEW!
For committed and independent volunteers to help maintain specific crops. Minimum commitment of once a week plus mandatory training. June - September
If interested, complete online application. Crop Stewardship Volunteer Application
Harvest Crew - NEW!
For committed individuals to help farmers with their Monday through Friday harvest. Minimum commitment of once a week plus mandatory training.
Wave 1:Training 1st week in June. Volunteer: mid-June to mid-August
Wave 2: Training 1st week in August. Volunteer: mid-August to mid-October
If interested, complete online application. Harvest Crew Volunteer Application
Teen Tuesdays - NEW!
For drop in volunteers between ages 13 - 15 to help maintain the Learning Garden. Volunteer hours can count toward community service requirements. If interested, contact
Group Volunteer Opportunities
- Schedule your corporate or community groups during April - October. Please refer to our Group Volunteer Calendar below.
- Choose 3 dates and times that work best for your group then complete theVolunteer Group Form. We will contact you within a week to confirm your date of service.
- We ask all volunteer groups to support our work by making a tax-deductible contribution. For corporate/business groups we suggest a contribution of $500/group. For community/school groups we suggest a contribution of $10/individual. Your donation helps to cover organizational costs related to organizing and leading your group in the field. Thank you for your support!
Information for Group and Individual Volunteers
- We work in ALL weather conditions. Please come prepared to work. Bring a hat, sunscreen, water bottle, and snack if needed. Wear closed toed shoes, long pants, and clothing that you do not mind getting dirty. Shirts must be worn at all times while on the farm.
- If it is your first time to drop-in hours please fill out one of the WFCF Contact and Waiver Form. Download and complete prior to your visit or complete when you arrive. Note: WFCF Contact and Waiver Forms for all volunteers under the age of 18 must be signed by a parent or guardian.
- If you have a medical condition requiring an inhaler or epi-pen, bring those along and notify your WFCF staff leader of your condition before starting work at the Farm.
- Individuals volunteering on weekdays in June, July, or August will be led by members of our Weed Crew and will be working on one of the many important weeding projects that our farm relies on to ensure good yields from our crops. We appreciate any generous hands willing to help them out!
- In September and October there may be opportunities to volunteer during the week after you have come to a couple of the Saturday drop-ins. Please inquire with the farmers if you are interested.
- Please refer to our Age Appropriate Activities Chart to find out about all of the other WFCF activities available to people of all ages!